Somalian-born Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed went to pray at mosque
But he hasn't been seen since leaving West London centre on Friday
His disappearance is a major blow to police and the security services
Theresa May faced criticism in the Commons today after a suspected Islamist terrorist supposedly under close monitoring went on the run wearing a burka.
Somalian-born Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is believed to have evaded police observation by disguising himself as a woman in Islamic dress.
The 27-year-old went to pray at a mosque in West London on Friday and has not been seen since, Scotland Yard announced last night.
On the run: Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is being hunted by counter-terrorism officers
Home Secretary Theresa May face criticism in the Commons today over the ability of the police and security services to track suspects through Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (TPIM) notices.
It comes as the Serious Fraud Office launched a criminal probe into electronic tagging contracts handed to G4S and Serco.
Police released CCTV pictures of the Mohamed, apparently wearing the traditional garb.
Scotland Yard refused to comment on the offences he is suspected of.
However they said he was not ‘a direct threat to the public.’
His escape prompted renewed political debate about the role of the appropriateness of Islamic dress in British life.
It follows a court case earlier this year in which a woman was required to show her face to jurors and the judge while giving evidence.
Mohamed is one of a small number of terror suspects whose movements are restricted by a court order because of the threat they pose to the public.
Islamic clothing: Mohamed is seen leaving the An-Noor Masjid and Community Centre in Acton, west London
It follows the disappearance on Boxing Day of Ibrahim Magag who failed to return home on time to comply with his curfew. He has still not been found.
Mohamed's disappeared in a black cab in December after ripping off his electronic tag.
His disappearance is a major blow to police and the security services.
The Metropolitan Police said Mohamed attended the An-Noor Masjid Mosque in Acton, West London, at 10am on Friday.
He was seen inside the mosque at 3.15pm. A spokesman said he changed into Islamic clothing and ‘has not been seen since’.
A spokesman said: ‘The Counter Terrorism Command immediately launched inquiries to trace Mr Mohamed and these continue.
‘Ports and borders were notified with his photograph and details circulated nationally. Public safety remains our priority.’ He said anyone who sees him should call 999.
In the Commons Mrs May insisted Mohamed does not pose a direct threat to the British public even though the 27-year-old is understood to have received training and fought overseas for al-Shabaab, the Somalia-based cell of the militant Islamist group al Qaida.
To laughs and shouts from the Labour benches, Mrs May said: 'The police and security service have confirmed that they do not believe that this man poses a direct threat to the public in the UK.
'The reason he was put on a TPIM in the first place was to prevent his travel to support terrorism overseas.'
But Labour's Yvette Cooper said the disappearance of Magag and Mohamed was proof that the decision to replace control orders with TPMIs was a mistake.
Ms Cooper said: 'Since the Home Secretary got rid of relocation orders, got rid of control orders and brought in the weaker Tpims, two terror suspects have vanished.