Recent News from ACT! for America


Officers in the GIPN (French national police intervention groups) leave a building after a raid as part of an anti-terrorist operation, in October 2012, in Cannes. Photo: Jean-Christophe Magnenet /AFP

French anti-terrorism police believe they have foiled a plot to attack the French Riviera, Le Figaro newspaper reported on Wednesday. The planned attack, described by sources as "imminent", was reportedly being masterminded by a jihadist who had returned from Syria.
 

Quoting sources close to the investigation, Le Figaro newspaper claimed on Wednesday that French police believe thay have thwarted a planned terrorist attack on the Côte d'Azur, in the south of France.

According to the newspaper's sources police became convinced they unearthed a plan to plant a bomb on the Riviera after a raid on a flat in the town of Mandelieu-La-Napoule, near Cannes led to the discovery of 900 grams of explosives.

The apartment was the 'drop-off point' of a 23-year-old man arrested a few days earlier who had links with a suspected extremist cell based in Cannes Torcy, sources told Le Figaro.

Police sources told Le Figaro that the explosive discovered was TATP, which can be manufactured at home and has been used in previous terror attacks, notably the Marrakech bombings in 2011.

The explosive was divided into three cans, one of which was wrapped in screws and nails, fixed on with tape, the source adds.

A gun and computer equipment were also seized in the raid on the home.

The suspected plotter had apparently escaped police clutches when in September 2012 ant-terrorist units carried out a series of raids aimed at dismantling the Cannes-Torcy terror cell.

At the time France’s top public prosecutor Francois Molins described the group as the most dangerous terror treat to France since the 1990s when the country was rocked by a series of attacks.

The French government has previously expressed concerns about the dangers posed by jihadists returning to France after fighting a holy war in Syria.

Earlier this week The Local reported how terrorist groups linked to Al Qaeda had called for attacks on French soil in revenge for French military intervention in Mali and the Central African Republic.

[Source]

 


By Jeryl Bier for The Weekly Standard


The semi-annual report on "Re-engagement of Detainees Formerly Held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba" was released on Wednesday by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI). Out of a total of 614 former prisoners (up from 603 six months ago), intelligence has confirmed that 104 (up from 100) have re-engaged in terrorism/insurgent activities while another 74 are suspected of doing so. The latest report nudged the recidivism rate up to an even 29 percent from 28.9 percent last September.

[read more]
 

(note: Tonight we got another cosponsor which brings the total to 187. Announcement will be made tomorrow.)

We are happy to announce yet another co-sponsor for Congressman Frank Wolf's bill, H.Res. 36, which would establish a select committee to investigate the attack on the consulate in Benghazi.

Congressman Vicky Hartzler, representing Missouri’s fourth district, brings the total number of cosponsors to 186. This comes on the heels of our announcement last week of another cosponsor, Congressman Candice Miller of Michigan’s 10th district. In February alone, there were six new cosponsors added to the list.

It’s been over a year since the Benghazi attack that killed four Americans, including a U.S. Ambassador, yet we still do not know the details of what transpired that day and no one has been held accountable. There are those in the administration and the U.S. Congress that want this issue to go away. We pledge to do all we can to make sure that doesn’t happen -- but we need your help. It’s time for ANSWERS. It’s time for ACCOUNTABILITY. The U.S. Congress must form a special, short-term committee with subpoena power to focus solely on the Benghazi attack. Right now, over 2/3rd of the House Republican Conference agree and have cosponsored H. Res. 36.

Join us in demanding answers on Benghazi and make your voice heard by looking up and contacting your representative through our new system: Engage. It’s fast, easy, and effective.

The Summary of the bill is below:

Establishes in the House of Representatives a select Committee to investigate and report to the House on:
  • •    any intelligence known to the United States relating to the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012;
  • •    any requests for additional security, or actions taken by federal agencies to improve security at the consulate before the attack;
  • •    a definitive timeline of it;
  • •    how the relevant agencies and the executive branch responded to it and whether appropriate congressional notifications were made;
  • •    any improper conduct by officials relating to the attack;
  • •    recommendations on what steps Congress and the President should take to prevent future attacks; and
  • •    any other relevant issues relating to the attack or the response to it.
 



By Jillian Kay Melchior for National Review


A
terrorist from Jordan briefly worked as an Obamacare navigator in Illinois while authorities remained unaware of her conviction for involvement in a deadly grocery store bombing and two other attacks.

Rasmieh Yousef Odeh was convicted in Israel for her role in several bombings, including the 1969 attack on an upscale Shufersol grocery store, which killed two Hebrew University students who had stopped in to buy groceries for a hiking trip in the Jerusalem hills. Leon Kanner and Eddie Joffe were killed by a bomb hidden in a candy box tucked on a shelf, which also injured nine or 10 others, according to a website maintained by the Israeli government to commemorate terror victims.

The Illinois Department of Insurance quietly revoked Odeh’s certification as a Navigator In-Person Counselor on November 24, explaining in a disciplinary report that the decision was “based on an investigation which revealed that she had been convicted in Israel for her role in the bombings of a supermarket and the British Consulate in Jerusalem and failed to reveal the conviction on her application.”

The Illinois DOI conducts background checks on navigators. National Review Online obtained the comprehensive Federal Bureau of Investigation background report for Odeh, which does not note any past criminal offenses.

According to the director of insurance’s Oct. 25, 2013, revocation letter, the Department of Insurance found out about Odeh’s history after the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Eastern District of Michigan, notified the public about her prior convictions.

Odeh, who has as many as nine aliases, was indicted in October for allegedly lying on her U.S. immigration and naturalization application papers. On Dec. 9, 2004, she had been sworn in as a U.S. citizen in a district court in Michigan, the same state where bombing victim Kanner had spent six months studying English. If Odeh is convicted, she could lose her U.S. citizenship and serve up to 10 years in prison. Separately, the Illinois Insurance Code permits civil penalties to be levied after a hearing on any Obamacare navigator whose certificate has been denied, suspended or revoked. 

Odeh declined NRO’s interview request.

When Odeh was 21 years old, she was a member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a Marxist-Leninist group and original member of the Palestine Liberation Organization, which the U.S. has designated as a foreign terrorist organization, according to the indictment.

On Feb. 21, 1969, PFLP members planted bombs at the Shufersol supermarket, as well as the British Consulate in Jerusalem.

[Read More]
 

Page 5 of 392

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>


You are here:   HomeLearnRecent NewsRecent News